Weeks 22 - 23 Wishing you A Merry Christmas

Hello everybody and apologies for not updating this site for a couple of weeks, here’s a two-week update from a very busy Rotarian and District Governor.

You will be glad to hear the sale of the children’s clothing which were donated to us by a wonderful lady, Sally, has now finished.

Sunday 4 December saw me together with Linda Lambson, set up the last of our clothes sales. It has been a hard slog but one we have enjoyed doing together and worthwhile for our nominated causes.

As a result of the sales, we have raised enough funds for £1000 to go through District to support Ukraine; £1000 to my charity this year - Polio; and the rest going towards a pot of money for any Club to be able to give a small donation of food or energy vouchers. This will be a one-off pot of funding and it is expected to pay out around £50 per each application. This may not sound a lot but to some families this would pay for a good Christmas lunch.

On Wednesday 23rd November I was fortunate enough to be invited to Rossendale Rotary Club. It was great to hear about all the work they are involved with. We had a lovely meal in an idyllic location, Sykeside Country Hotel. The venue was beautifully decorated for Christmas and the food was excellent. I was honoured to meet and chat with some really lovely Rotarians. Thank you Rossendale for all you do, it is appreciated by everybody. Keep up the wonderful projects and the support for your Community.

Friday 25th November, in the evening, was the Carnforth Rotary Music Competition for local primary schools held at Carnforth High School.

In total 6 Primary schools took part in the competition and if truth were told all would have been worthy winners of the trophy. Thankfully I was not a judge, for they had a monumental task in choosing a winner!

This is always a well-attended event with 200 parents, friends, and families in the audience. For me this the start of the run up to Christmas, and something I always enjoy.

Sometime ago I was invited by the President of St Anne’s Rotary to join their Club and friends at a ‘William Topaz McGonagall Night’. To be honest I wasn’t too sure what to expect, never having been to a McGonagall night.

I suspected it would be a good evening, but it surpassed all my thoughts, it was a fantastic event. It was a great friendship event with some excellent presenters (all Club members) and I laughed the most I’ve laughed in ages. It was a truly memorable evening.

I don’t want to say too much, but all I will say is that if you ever get invited make sure to buy a ticket because you will have a wonderful night.

President Tony Godden and his lovely wife were fantastic hosts and I want to say thanks to them both for inviting me to the evening.

On Wednesday 1st December, the eve of my birthday, I attended Workington  Rotary Club and was welcomed by President Hughie and his wonderful Club. We enjoyed good food and there were lots of representation from other Clubs to help celebrate 93 years of Rotary.

Workington Club are involved in many local and international projects and looking back I just wonder how much this Club has done for the benefit of others? I’m sure we will never know the true value, but it must be enormous, and I congratulate all the members.

Besides the speeches the highest honour, for me, was yet to come. I was invited to induct 3 new members to the Club, and the best of it they were all young people, well much younger than me! 

Welcome to Janie Ward, Dr Joseph Dunkwu  and Mr Konrad Hansen . I felt truly honoured and privileged to undertake such a wonderful task at this Charter.

On a final but important note,

Thank you to the Rotarians, Family members and friends who have already booked to attend the District Conference, to be held on 18th March 2023 at Barton Manor, Garstang Road Broughton Preston.

Times are hard and I have no doubt that this is going to be a hard winter for us all, along with our wider community but we do need your help with Conference 2023. We have a host of speakers with the Theme being ‘ Young People, our Future’.  We have received just 24 registrations for the conference.  It is important that we have a commitment from Clubs, and Rotarians so that we know if the Conference is viable.  This is where I need your help and guidance.

If you are intending to join me at our next district conference can I ask that you register your intention using the District website online form with our District Treasurer Larry Branyon.    So please register now and then pay early next year.

By doing this I will know if we will be able to have a District Conference next year. 

Thank you for welcoming me to your meetings, events, and charter nights.  It has been wonderful meeting you. 

All the very best for the festive season 

Popular posts from this blog

Kath's Ramblings