Weeks 17 - 19

 

Hello everybody, firstly I’d like to offer my sincere apologies for not updating this site for a couple of weeks, today’s blog will be a bumper edition. 

I think it may be worth you grabbing a coffee, or a nice cup of tea, together with a mince pie and relaxing while you read.

I’ve attended numerous events over the last few weeks , all Rotary related, but first an update on my nominated Charity for the year - Polio. I am currently preparing another order for the Purple4Polio Quality Street tins, so if anybody would like to order one and give it as a present with a leaflet about polio, I will ensure that you receive both before Christmas. 

The tins would make a lovely gift, and although a little expensive, the story behind them and the profit we make for the fight against this awful illness does make them worthwhile. We need to continue with our cause and the promise Rotary made to help eradicate Polio in the world. 

I know of a number of Rotarians who have decided not to send Christmas cards this year, donating the money instead to the Polio campaign. Not only is this good for the environment, but it also helps raise invaluable funds for this very worthy cause.

These tins can be ordered through the District Treasurer Larry Branyon. To ensure delivery before Christmas I will need to submit the order by Friday 11th November. 

Some time ago I mentioned a donation I had been given of a large quantity of new Children’s Clothing and my target of raising £3000 from the sale of these clothes. The good news is that the total has almost been achieved.

We are currently at £2500 with two more sales events to go. I’m so happy that we have nearly achieved our target as this will see another £1000 to the fight against Polio. Another £1000 will be used to purchase medical supplies for Ukraine and the last £1000 used to purchase energy vouchers for vulnerable families within our communities.

On Friday 21st October I had the pleasure of being a guest at Penrith Charter and what a fantastic time I had with President John Shorter and the Rotarians and friends at the Club. We were fed a feast of excellent food and listened to a superb speaker who gave us an insight by PowerPoint and speech into the world of mountaineering and the many adventures he had experienced. It was the quietest I’d ever experienced Rotarians during what was a thoroughly enjoyable talk. President John and his wife were lovely hosts and John’s views on Rotary were so forward thinking and interesting. President John I want to thank you, your speech was perfect.

On November 3rd I was invited to Lunesdale Rotary, I always find this a nice visit. The venue, The Highwayman public house at Burrow , Kirkby Lonsdale is a lovely welcoming venue, just as you would imagine a country restaurant and pub to be. The Club always go the extra mile when they have visitors attending and I gave a talk about my life, work and the reasons I joined Rotary. The vote of thanks came from Lilian Barton , their President elect, and the words were lovely. I had a great time with them, Thank you Lunesdale.

On November 5th  I travelled to Cockermouth Rotary for the eagerly anticipated brunch meeting, held at Julia Mather’s home and what a beautiful venue for 24 people. I had met Julia and fellow Rotarian Wendy together with a couple of other members at my handover event. Julia said then, on our first time of meeting, “we are going to support you”, and they have been true to their words. Julia has been there for me by email on a number of occasions which, at challenging times, has been lovely. Julia, her sister and friends made an absolutely stunning brunch, the food was superb.

They presented me with £610 for Polio which brought tears to my eyes. They have held a series  of brunches for Polio over the last few months. It was also great because a speaker they had had at their Club previously, with a talk about Red Squirrels, was also presented with a number a Squirrel boxes that had been made. 

Thank you, Julia, and Rotarians of Cockermouth , for all your support and kindness. I love you all for everything you do.

 

I have recently had a meeting with the Community Volunteering Service which was very informative and productive. This Service have lots of opportunities for the funding of projects and training sessions available.

If anybody would like an extra pair of hands at Christmas events, please let me know your dates and I will do my very best to attend and give a helping hand. 

I have a busy few weeks coming up and hope to share these with you back on a weekly basis. 

Thank you to all Rotarians in District 1190 for everything you are doing for our Communities. 

My last note will be a reminder and link for your District Conference 2023. This conference will celebrate youth in our communities  and the benefits of working with young people. Bookings are being received by our District Treasurer, please book your place to avoid any disappointment. I would love to see you all there.

 https://www.rotary-ribi.org/districts/page.php?PgID=280746&DistrictNo=1190

That’s all for now folks, TTFN

Popular posts from this blog

Kath's Ramblings